Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Slowly getting back on top of it all...

Wow, I'd forgotton what hard work this teaching lark is. Not just over xmas: I've been on supply since September (harder behaviour management, but no planning and marking), and before that it was summer, so I've not been really teaching since last July. It's hard. Especiallyat the beginning. I'm three days in to a new school, new system, new classes, new colleagues, new buildings, new commute, and I feel like I know nothing - nobody's name, where anything is, where I'm going - it's really tough. I know that I will get there and it will all get easier soon if I just hang on in there and tough it out, but I'm shattered. The last three days I've been out of the house for 12 hours every day, with staff meetings and NQT meetings after school, in minus several degrees, (and my heating in my classroom is woefully inadequate!), the come home (each day to a lovely hot meal cooked for me by my wonderful hubby), and started right back in on the next 4 or 5 or 6 hours of work that need doing before the next day. And hubby's been right alongside me, doing all of the admin tasks he can to help out, anything that doesn't require a knowledge of languages! I would have collapsed by now if he hadn't been helping me out, and I still feel like I'm close. My foot is still really painful after my boxing day fall, and I'm having to just ignore it and limp around school as fast as I can because there's nothing I can do - but I had to move out of my classroom and traipse all round the school today because there are exams in there, and tomorrow will be worse - more classes, more room changes, spread out further across the school, in more rooms and buildings I don't know. I carried 5 huge bags all over the school all day today. I am knackered and not at all sure I can make it to the end of the week. And I have another 4 lessons to plan and resource (with no books or photocopying) by tomorrow.
Sorry for the lack of knitting content - don't have time to do any!

2 comments:

Annalea said...

Oh wow. How did things go? It looks like this was a terribly crazy week . . .

Aim said...

Lucy, whoa, sounds like a tough start. I've often dreamed of being a teacher, but I think what I do now is exhausting...! Compared to your description, my day is a cake-walk!!! Hope it gets better soon =)