Yesterday, a lovely friend of mine came to lunch with her lovely fiancé, and brought me two fleeces! There was a label on the bags saying 'free to a good home'. I think I'm a good home. Washing fleece gets tiresome, but I'm still always gobsmacked by the results...
Unwashed fleece left, washed on right. Same fleece, from same sheep, just soaked in some hot soapy water for 20 minutes and rinsed. Amazing, n'est-ce pas?Haven't decided what to do with it all yet, but the dark fleece (there was a dark one and a white one) isn't looking like it's spinning/knitting quality. Huge amounts of VM, short fibres, coarse fibres and general cack. Once washed and run through the drumcarder 3 times (huge amount of mess!) it seems to felt quite nicely, so I think it's destined to be felted slipper soles. That way it doesn't need to be soft or pretty. I think a lot of people would probably give up and chuck this one, but I can't see wool go to waste! The white looks like a nice fleece to spin though... no idea what it is, but I may try a bit of detective work later on.
Another random piece of this week: I've always loved the little bunnies knitted by Julie at Little Cotton Rabbits, and yesterday I caved and bought some rabbit-coloured baby alpaca wool and her pattern for a bunny egg cosy. I couldn't put it down! By midnight, I had this cute little friend:
The flas photo is a bit washed out, her jumper is actually two shades of pink, and she fits over an egg beautifully. A home-grown, free-range egg, of course!
Lastly, this morning I realised that a hat I've been putting off since before xmas needs to be done by the end of the week, so I put on a burst of speed! It's the snowflake hat from Newton's Knitting, but I've added a pattern repeat to make it bigger (recipient has a big head!) and I'll be adding earflaps and a fleece lining to keep him warm on a ski slope. Hopefully I'll finish this tomorrow.
Last week kind of got knocked sideways by an interview (I didn't get the job), and another application. This week I hope to have a bit more time to think and knit. This may seem like a lot of knitting, but it's all been since Friday afternoon! One more week until half term...


No comments:
Post a Comment