This is my temptation. These gorgeous things are looking at me all the time I'm battling on with the foot of the second Koigu sock, begging to be cast on as something gorgeous.....
But it's so close! Only another 12 rows till the toe begins! I can do that... can't I? This prompts a disturbing question though - if I find a second sock dull marking-time knitting, what chance does the jumper I started have? Uh oh......
This was a surprise birthday parcel from my best friend from Uni, who I haven't seen since the day we graduated (I can't quite believe that, even as I type!) I do have some excuse, though. Last time I was in contact with her, she was in France. We lost touch for a few months, then I get a birthday card from Finland. Finland? Last time I heard, she spoke French, German, Italian, Latin, a bit of Spanish, Russian, Welsh and fluent gibberish, but I didn't think Suomi was one of her languages! I'm seriously behind, here! I might have to learn Mandarin or Greek or Magyar or something to gain a bit of respect. Bit busy at the 'mo, though. I've almost abandoned my plan to learn French this year as well as everything else. I just don't have the time! The parcel which dropped through my letterbox the other day (redirected from my Mum's) contained a birthday card, a letter and 2 Moomin lollies! Where on earth do you find Moomin lollies? Finland, apparently! Soooo cool! Can't possibly eat them. Not on the diet, anyway.
Yes, I have given up and joined Weightwatchers again. I weigh as much as a baby elephant (or possibly more). I'd like to lose a stone by Christmas, which might be possible? I'll let you know.
Next birthday pressie? A scarf, plus this little chap:
From my Auntie Jane. The one who wrote the poem! Could it be a more perfect mascot for Knittingsheep? And I haven't even told her about the blog! Spooky psychic link........ or Mum might have told her, I suppose!
Willow says "What do you want? I'm sleeping!" She has been an exemplary moggy ambassador today... She was out with the chickens wandering round the garden for 3 hours and didn't chase them! She got quite close, nose to beak about 4 inches away, and came to investigate the sweetcorn I was feeding them, but seemed quite happy to just sit and watch them clucking around the place unmolested. Good cat! I gave her lots of praise and treats, because it'll make my life so much easier if I can leave them all to it without having to be there to referee!
A couple of attempts to chart a pattern for chickens... look a bit more like ducks to me. Back to the drawing board...
And last but not least, a fabulous birthday pressie from Carey, the not-quite-sister-in-law up in Scotland: Real Aran wool! It's fabulous, so thick and warm and I think when I've knit it up it'll be so strong and hardwearing! I think I've got 4 100g balls here, but it's very chunky stuff. Does anyone have a clue if it'd be enough to do a jumper? I'm a large lass, so I'm thinking almost certainly not! Maybe a bodywarmer?
Dunno. Anyway, this is how it came, straight from Scottish sheep with no gauge or weight suggested, but it seems to knit up into a beautifully heavy fabric on 5mm needles. Think I'll have to make up my own pattern though! I love the colours, must do some gorgeous pattern, stripes or squares, something to mix up all the colours but not use up too much extra yardage, like fairisle. It won't be a traditional Aran jumper, because I don't like the look of cables on my large torso, but whatever it becomes, I bet I'll still have it in 20 years! Thanks, Carey!
1 comment:
Love your Koigu socks. I have not yet made a Kiogu pair though there's definetly a pair hiding in the shadows. I did buy three hanks of Claudia Handpaints yarn this week for the first time and it feels very nice, almost Koigu-like. I'm curious to know what you think of Weight Watchers. I was thinking of checking them ot for the first ime this week.
Post a Comment