Thursday, November 02, 2006

Warm wooly parcel to Scotland

Remember the pixie hat?
Well, there was about a ball and a half of the merino handspun left, so two evenings saw a pair of chunky oversocks, knit flat with a seam up the front, on 5mm needles with a bit of chunky- spun turqoise English 56's from the stash to fill in the heels and toes. There was about a metre of the merino left over when I'd finished. Perfect!
Those should keep the toes warm on cold Scottish nights in front of the telly. The joke is, she's bored up there so is learning to knit! She's found a friendly lady in a multipurpose yarn / haberdashery / craft shop who has cast on a scarf for her and shown her a few rows, and now she is bravely going it alone! I can't wait to see the scarf! First ever piece of knitting - it's a rite of passage! If she finishes it, I'll have to reward (tempt?) her with some Koigu or Lorna's Laces (my spree on Saturday now has another excuse!) - have to start the addiction as soon as possible! In the meantime, until her scarf is finished, i sent her this one that I knitted about six months ago in handspun merino, simple 2x2 rib. I was enjoying playing with the colors of the stripes. It's been waiting in a drawer for cold weather and to have its ends darned in, so two minutes with a needle and off it went to the cold North! Oh and another hat that was completed about the same time as the scarf as some 'something to do in the car' knitting. May as well keep a head warm as sit in a drawer!

See? Who says I never finish a project? Loads of FOs there! She received the parcel a couple of days ago and I think she loved it. I'm especially proud of the socks, not so much the hat any more as I was asked, very kindly, 'why does it have a nipple on top?'

Um. That's not quite the look I had in mind. Still, if she layers it with the other hat, she will have a very warm head.....

No comments: