There has been progress on the kauni. There has. A whole inch, at least. On one sleeve. Yes, I know I unravelled at least two inches last night, but it was in the wrong colour combinations. I'm not going backwards at all. I'm not. No.
See? Progress. It is. I won't hear otherwise. Ahem. So to make up for the lack of progress there, I thought I'd show you some pictures of things I found whilst rummaging in the stash to find a fifth 3mm DPN.
Behold! The first sock I ever knitted. It was based on a scaled-up version of a half-remembered baby booty pattern, knitted in Noro (silk garden, I think) whilst I was on holiday in the Canary Isles almost exactly 4 years ago. I'm not quite sure where the curly toe came from, it just sort of evolved, then it seemed right to put a tassel on it. You can tell how happy I was with it: I never made it a pair.
The second attempt, same yarn different colourway, knitted on the same holiday, with an attmpt to make the toe less pointy. These were both knitted flat, with a seam up the back of the ankle and under the foot. Despite getting a leather sole (for grip, these were supposed to be slipper socks), this never received a twin either. They've languished in the stash ever since, and never been worn.
An important moment: my first handspun handknit sock. The wool is so stiff and scratchy you could never wear it , and it too is a sad single sock, destined never to get a friend. But it's a landmark, so I can't part with it. Again knit flat, this time with a seam up the front and the top of the foot.
This one was a few months later: much better spinning, lovely soft merino, and a better shaped sock. Sadly it's never been worn as I didn't dye enough roving to spin two socks' worth of yarn! It's navajo-plied and I love the citrussy stripeyness.
A slightly strange mitten from handspun, again I liked this one but couldn't repeat the dyelot! I have a drawer full of odd coloured roving from the attempts. I was really patient with the ribbing on this and made it extra-long to stop that gap between coat and glove - sadly I've never repeated this on a finished pair!
A similar lone glove made from handspun silk/merino mix I bought from ebay soon after I learned to spin, before I could dye, I think. It's 3-ply, two plies of the raspberry-coloured merino/silk and one ply of white merino. This was quite a fancy glove, with short fingers and a mitten flap, the fingers being knitted in a much finer-spun version of the same yarn.
This is the saddest case of all... there is a second glove, with one finger and a thumb, but I've lost the rest of the yarn to finish it!
So there you are... these are some of the sad abandoned knits lurking amongst my stash. What's lurking in yours? Any forgotten treasures?
No comments:
Post a Comment