Thursday, April 10, 2008

How to butcher your knitting, part three

What's this? Go on, have a guess. Why haven't I been blogging for the past three days? I've been far too busy knitting! The Kauni has become something of an obsession, I'm afraid. So here you are - two finished sleeves (inside view). Do you know what that means?Ta dah!!!!!!!!!!! It's done!!! I am soooo much happier than this photo suggests. I mean, bouncing round the house doing silly little victory dances with a stupid grin on my face happy. This is without a doubt my biggest knitting triumph ever. This cardi was destined for the bin only a couple of weeks ago! What a turnaround! Of course, after I cast off that second sleeve and tried it on in the sheer joy of finishing, there was about another 2 hours' work tidying up all the insides, tacking down facings and steeks and all the other bits I'd cut and sewing in the surprisingly large number of loose ends. I think I made a pretty neat job of it, though - I never thought the inside of the neck would ever look this tidy, when I picked up that haphazard circle of stitches through what had been the chest and shoulders of a much larger cardi! I'm quite proud of it!
Here it is reclining on the table drying off after a short soak in some warm soapy water. I'm not blocking it viciously, I just rolled it up in some towels and pressed the water out, then laid it out flat on a dry towel and patted it gently into shape. I hope that's the right thing to do, this is the first time I've ever blocked a jumper. Unfortunately, I am now suffering incredible impatience for it to be dry so that I can wear it!

I even snuck downstairs and gently turned it over a little while ago, to help the back dry out more quickly... I'm trying to tell myself that there's no chance of it being dry before morning, and I mustn't ruin it at this stage, but it's so hard to be patient!
......unless you're Willow. She can do patience in droves. Any pile of clothes is a bed...
...unless some kind person just made the bed, of course... Aren't duvets improved by a smattering of cat hair? It has to make them warmer, surely?
And to ease the kauni-drying impatience... there's already a thin strip of 2x2 ribbing on the needles!

1 comment:

TrampledbyGeese said...

It looks great. It's amazing what some sizors and one brave knitter can accomplish.

Have you thought about making anything out of the material you cut away with you steeks? you could felt it and make a bag or something perhaps.