Saturday, February 21, 2009

A strange day - lots of waiting around and some spinning.

My brother was supposed to call in this afternoon on the way back from his latest ski trip. My Mum came down to see him, as we don't get to see him very often - he lives waaay up in Blackpool. He did eventually get here - at about 7.30 pm. We had been expecting him since lunchtime. Such is the way of things when you are on a school trip with a coachload of 40 or 50 kids - delays happen very easily and are totally unpredictable. Like the customs office deciding to check each and every kid's passport and search every single coach coming back today from Calais to Dover. Many many coaches. Thousands of kids. Hours and hours of waiting with bored exasperated kids. Who'd be a teacher? Well, me, obviously, but then we know I'm mad. Apparently it runs in the family.

Things I did get done today whilst sitting about chatting to my Mum and drinking tea:
Frogging a holed kermit sock and picking the stitches back up ready to re knit the toe...
...casting on for another Elizabethan Ruff Cowl and starting to write up the pattern....

...and finishing and plying my handspun... Three-ply, one ply dark purple merino, two plies variegated blue/teal/purple bluefaced leicester. I have 126g of finished 3-ply yarn here, which I have calculated to be about 330m. I don't know yet what to knit with this, I was planning on a hat or cowl, but maybe mittens? Don't know. It's not going to be socks, as my last pair of handspun socks lasted all of two weeks before I walked a hole in them (I wore them 3 or 4 times). I just don't think my handspun, unreinforced, is tough enough for socks. But that's okay, there are tonnes of gorgeous sock yarns out there. Some of which is sitting here calling to me. I have to reknit the kermit first, or I'll never do it.
Question: Was knitting socks in a yarn called 'kermit' setting myself up for frogging? Discuss.

2 comments:

Aim said...

~giggle~

your socks rock, and it's great your green socks are "kermit", heh.

Annalea said...

"Was knitting socks in a yarn called 'kermit' setting myself up for frogging?"

LOL

I believe it will depend on who you ask . . . but the knitting fates do seem to have an especially wry sense of vindictive humor.