
Meet Ethelred the Unroasted and Attilla the Hen. Yes, I know. But we're happy that way.
They moved into their new home on Thurday, and today for the first time we let them have a little roam around the garden in the afternoon. And tried to introduce the cat. Oh dear.
When Willow went to my Mum's for her summer holiday (we were in France), she didn't chase my Mum's chickens! She just sat and looked at them. However, despite having been told by the vet to keep her in until her next checkup (a week today), we let her have a quick wander on the lawn this afternoon to meet the chicks, with us standing very close to grab her.
I think the vet is being overcautious. The best description I can come up with is 'furry exocet missile'. Poor chickens. I bet they won't lay us an egg for months now! She didn't even try to jump on them or attack them, just rushed at them very fast and enjoyed watching them scatter. I suppose, thinking about it, she has been cooped up inside for weeks now, and all that pounce was being stored up inside and just had to come out somehow... I do hope they all learn to get on calmly in the end, though. Otherwise... I dunno. Can you get chicken-strength Valium? The poor dears might need it!
Look at her looking all innocent - like feathers wouldn't melt in her mouth!
Keir's in-tray is one of her favourite places to sleep. It's lovely having her home and starting to get her bounce back, even if it is fairly hard on the chickens! I think we'll have to avoid letting them out togetehr again for a little while, until she's got back into her usual routine and hasn't got quite so much stored up energy! And she's had a reprieve on the tail - they're giving her another week to see if any movement happens, before they decide whether to amputate. Lucky kitty.
She's just this moment jumped up onto the desk beside me to polish off some treats she left here earlier and demand a bit of fuss - she says purrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

No comments:
Post a Comment