Friday, January 12, 2007

Projects on the go!

I cast on for this sock on Saturday night and did three rows before giving up and going to bed. I did quite a lot on Sunday morning in a semi-vegetative state, and turned the heel on Sunday night. I was knitting it yesterday and today at Uni in my break and lunchtime (kind of scary to realise how many people have no idea how to knit, let alone in cirles and turning corners. Socks are magic to most people - little pixies grow them on bushes and send them to shops to be sold. Or something like that). I decreased the toe and grafted it this evening, and it's so nice it's only come off my foot for 5 seconds to be photographed, then went straight back on. I cast on for sock 2 straightaway, only modification was to cast on over 2 needles (first time I've tried this), as sock 1's only flaw is the cast-on edge is a teeny bit tight. Not stupidly, foot has not gone purple or dropped off, but harder to get on than it needs to be. Hopefully fixed for sock 2.

Wool: Colinette Jitterbug merino easycare in No. 16, Blue Parrot. A joy to knit with - may spark further temptation and credit card debt! (don't tell darling hubby!)

The colours don't show up fabulously here, but hey, it's nighttime and I'm using a flash. Several tones of blue with green and burgundy highlights. Much nicer in person than in this photo.
I have several skeins of koigu in different colours lurking in the stash at the moment, threatening to make me stop working on my next assignment for Uni and just knit socks 24 hours a day! I have an incentive to work hard, though... If I pass this assignment, darling hubby has promised to buy me 2 skeins of
Socks that Rock! Yes, unbelieveable as it may be to Cara, I am an STR virgin! And since I didn't win any in her contest, I have to get my hands on it somehow! Isn't he just the most lovely hubby in the world? He's willing to add to my stash!

Project 2: at a standstill. there is 1 3/4 tonnes remaining of the 3 tonnes of gravel that were delivered onto our drive. Everyone seems to have lost interest in moving it and we're just taking it in turns parking in the street. I blame the weather. It's been ok actually, but I have to blame something and I'm not honest enough to admit to just being a lazy beggar.
Project 3: Forest Canopy Shoulder Shawl. Supposed to be ideal beginner's lace. Of course, being me, I started it in a completely different size wool and needle size, which isn't really a problem, as it's a triangular shawl with a repeating pattern, so you can just keep going till it's the right size, but it was takingages to grow and the point of this beginner's pattern is to knit it fairly chunky and get a huge sense of achievement from it being finished so fast. So what did I do? Why, I bought more yarn and needles and started a second one, of course!

Willow is not in the least impressed by all this knitting - it cuts down the time I can stroke her and feed her treats.

" You think I won't find them in the bookcase, eh? Wrong!"

In other news (boy projects) the Landy is not at all well. It had a short list of some 20 or so reasons for failing its MOT before Christmas, and it's been sitting on the drive in pieces ever since. Poor thing. All it wants to do is go and wallow in some mud.....

Lastly, I just have to share the picture that hubby set up as my desktop for my snazzy new computer. It makes me smile every time I see it. Willow, Ethelred and Atilla playing in the garden. They all seem to get on fine now. It's all peaceful down on the farm... or in the very small back garden, anyway.

No comments: