
On Thursday it was quite windy. I drove home at lunchtime slowly, avoiding lorries, fighting against the wind trying to push my car out into another lane. I got home to find this large hole in the fence. Well, that's not quite true. When I got home, most of the panel was still there, whipping about in the wind and slowly breaking up, sending chunks of wood full of nails whipping across our back garden with amazing force. We made sure the chooks were ok and then hid in the house. The whole panel was gone by nightfall when we went to tuck in the chickens. You can just see through the neighbours' garden that they have lost fence the other side as well - these were seriously high winds! We don't get a lot of extreme weather in the UK, so when it does come, we're completely unprepared for it. The ugly chicken-wire patch is my doing, put up on Friday to allow Ethelred and Atilla out for a run without them escaping - I have no idea how many of the fences in the row came down, but they must all have been put up 9 years ago when the houses were built, so i'd guess they are all in the same state. Darling hubby has a weekend job at a large DIY store and says that they sold £15,000 worth of fence panels yesterday. I'm not surprised!
On the theme of weather, it has been amazingly mild so far this winter - I think I've only had to defrost my car once, and that was a couple of months ago! The garden seems to think it's Spring - several things in bud, like this daffodil. If we get a sharp frost, I think we could lose a lot of plants taht are shooting fast at the moment. We're generally only talking about things above chicken-destruction height here though. they don't seem to go for the bulbs, but everything else low-growing is shredded.
Find the nearest book, open to page 123, and copy out 6-8 lines of text.
My text:
"Theory x managers assume that the average worker is lazy, lacks ambition, is resistant to change, self-centred and not very bright.
Theory y managers assume that the average worker is motivated, wants to take responsibility, has potential for development and works for the organisation. Any lack of ambition or resistance to change comes from experience. "
McGregor, 1960, quoted in Capel, Leask and Turner: Learning to teach in the secondary school. Routledge, 2005.
What book do you have lying around?
No comments:
Post a Comment