Saturday, December 27, 2008

Beret in a day!

About two years ago, I bought this Rowan scottish tweed 4-ply and (strangely) used it to start a forest canopy shawl in a rather tight gauge. Needless to say, the shawl was quickly abandoned and it and the rest of the wool have languished sadly in the stash ever since. No longer!
Yesterday I found a beret pattern I really wanted to knit: Columbia Beret by Sarah at Blue Garter. It's a free download pdf file, and gorgeous in its simplicity - spiralling yarnovers and decreases and a simple garter band. So, having been laid up by my painful foot, this lunchtime I knitted a swatch (yes, I know! Shocking, no?) and promptly cast on the requisite 84 stitches.
A couple of programme catch-ups on BBC iplayer and the fabulously cheesy old film Crocodile Dundee 2 later (don't you just love all the old shit that's on telly at xmas?) and I have a hat!
Hello. I am the first beret Lucy has ever knitted. Aren't I special?
Even with lank hair, no makeup and a gloomy background, I still feel as though I look somehow sophisticated and Parisian. (non, je ne suis pas Parisienne. Je suis Anglaise. Got to keep up with the French practice!) I can't help noticing I also look kind of smug, but then I have just finished a rather fab and well-fitting beret, so I think that's ok!
The only mod I made was to leave off the ties on the top so that you can see the lovely swirl created by the yarnovers and decreases spiralling into the centre. A brilliant pattern. Thanks, Sarah! I'll be wearing this tomorrow!

3 comments:

Annalea said...

You were right. Much better than a beanie! Will you be doing another photo shoot in the garden, during daylight, or will we have to wait for action shots sometime in the future? ;o)

Hope your foot is feeling better . . . and the cork board looks lovely! (It's in the background of the second shot . . .)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're fast! Love the color - it looks great on you.

Khris said...

Hello!
Can you send me the pattern, for this beret? The one in the site seems different..

Thank you
Cristy