The endless blue and yellow socks were done at last. All I had to do was graft the toe, and present them to a grateful and adoring husband. All those hours of knitting size 11 socks on 2mm needles in dark blue yarn (with yellow heels and toes to stop me going completely nuts) had finally paid off - this was the moment of gratification!
Oh. How did that happen? I always shape toes the same way - always - I do a wedge toe, ssk and k2tog 1 stitch in from the end of each needle every other row. Apparently this time I hadn't. And I can't work out what I did do on that first toe. Now that I look at this photo closely, I can see a kink in the toe on the rght hand side , like there was a change in the rate of decrease there, but I couldn't see that in person. Oh, no. Do I have to rip out the toe and knit it again? Worse still, if I couldn't work out what I'd done the first time, would I have to frog the first toe and re-knit? Then I wouldn't even have one completed sock! I sat wracked with my deadly serious knitting dilemma... to frog or not to frog... that is the question.
Happily I have a sensible husband who made me see that knitting stretches, and warm feet are forgiving feet. You can't tell, can you? You can't if he wiggles his toes, anyway!
Willow did finally let me have these back, and the second sock now has a heel and its gusset decreases done - it's officially more than halfway there. This one should be done by the middle of the week, if I get a decent amount of work this week. There was a penalty for retrieving the sock, though:
I had to have cold feet, as Willow nabbed my JJJ socks to lie on instead. I thought about making her a knitted blanket to lie on for xmas, but it wouldn't work, since the thing she really likes best to lie on is whatever I'm currently trying to knit or wear. Not interested in the ones you're not using...
I had a busy friday: all of this is extra dreads for the hat. I also decided I don't like the blue fleece and went to get some black. I'll work on assembly later in the week. The FCSS is also slogging along, though it's still in the unblogworthy, big crumpled heap stage of lace knitting. I've now knitted 24 repeats - I have to decide soon if I have enough yarn left for three more repeats (as planned), plus the 8-row edging. I currently have 36 grams left. I'll weigh again after this next repeat and see what I think.
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but my list of 6 UFOs is looking good - 3 done, and three looking like they're nearing completion! Soon I'll be done and free to cast on another million things! No, wait - There are many many many more WIPs in the stash!
No comments:
Post a Comment