Friday, October 31, 2008

Could you be... the most beautiful sock in the world?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I give you this.
I'm in love.
This is, without a doubt, the most stunningly beautiful and surprising sock yarn I have ever knit with in my life, and it's so addictive that I already have half a sock done, having brought this home yesterday at 6pm. I love the way the stripes fade beautifully into each other and have such variegation in themselves - the colours are so rich and saturated the whole thing seems to glow! I really don't even want to tell you what this is, because then you'll buy it and there will be less of it in the world for me... but I do believe in promoting skilled artists who produce quality products, so I'll have to whisper that this is Fyberspates self-striping BFL sock yarn, which looks quite unlike a striping yarn in the skein, but knits up to these gorgeous deep fading stripes. This is 'funfair', and for a 100g skein (it actually weighed in at 108g), it has supreme yardage. I think that this would actually make a pair of nearly-knee-high socks, even on my large feet and very chunky calves. These ones won't be knee-high, because I didn't realise how much yarn I had until I had knit enough to not want to unravel it, and as I said, chunky calves, so no way is this going to fit higher up my leg. Never mind, this time around there will be stunning socks and (happy accident of inspiration whilst I had the stitches on thread to try it on and decide how high up my leg the existing section could go), matching mitts! These will definitely cheer up a dreary British winter.
The yarn feels quite firm and tightly-spun, but is knitting up to a lovely smooth and soft-feeling fabric that I am sure will be comfy and hardwearing. And the best bit of all? Machine-washable! Machine washable 100% BFL in these colours? there is definitely more of this yarn in my future. Jen, you're a genius!


My star quilt patch is nearly done, just needs another border of blue to complete the cushion front, then I will quilt it slightly on some cotton batting before making it up into a cushion. Not today, though! Today we will be emptying this: My craft room, from 2 different angles. Trust me, there is a lot more you can't see. This room is FULL. And next week, it's being recarpeted... so we have to empty it. Along with all the other upstairs rooms... so most of this has to go into the loft. This will be a big job. Still, it'll give me a chance to redecorate and to decide how I want the room to be in the future: this arrangement just sort of evolved and it's very cluttered. I'm sure we can do better if we plan it all out carefully. I'm going to try to set up the computer downstairs for now, but service may be patchy for the next week or two! Meanwhile, I will be knitting the most beautiful socks in every spare moment!

1 comment:

Annalea said...

Beautiful yarn . . . I can't wait to see the FOs it makes.

And talk about a huge FO -- your craft room is going to be fun to see when it's done!

Happy lugging. :o)