Saturday, April 18, 2009

How much wool is too much?

I have a fair bit of wool. No, more than that. I have quite a lot of wool. Well, no, masses probably covers it better. Not quite enough to use as loft insulation for the entire house, but probably half the house....

Two things opened my eyes to the enormous quantity of wool I posess. On Wednesday, I went with my Mum to a new yarn shop in Broadway. It's a lovely little shop, just opened a couple of weeks ago, and seems to have some nice wool. The Noro currently being knitted into a blanket came home with me. Now, this was a teeny tiny shop in an arcade in a small town, and the owner probably doesn't have all of the stock she's planning on getting quite yet, but I was a little alarmed on looking around and calculating to realise that I probably own as much yarn as was in her shop. Me. On my own. The only knitter in this household. All purchased in the last 10 years.

Holy smoke, Batman, I must have one hell of a lot of yarn if I have more than a yarn shop.

Then, today, I thought about spinning fibre. I went up into the loft to find some different fibre that I remembered buying a while ago. I hunted. And hunted. And hunted. There is a lot of stuff in our loft, but I wasn't having trouble finding fibre. I was having trouble sorting through all the fibre. You've seen pictures of the drawer that Willow likes to sleep in? That's where the fibre that's not in the loft lives. It's 30" x 20" x 15". The fibre in the loft could probably fill it again another 6 times over. Now, the big question (answers on a postcard, please...)

How did I end up with more wool than I could spin and knit in a lifetime, by the age of 27??

1 comment:

Annalea said...

S.A.B.L.E.

Every fiber crafter's dream. lol

Honestly, though, I find that I have a strong tendency to buy fiber when I wish I was knitting or spinning, but can't be. It's retail therapy for my unsatisfied creative urges.

I think you'd be surprised, though, at how much you could spin and/or knit, if you really had a go at it. (Hmmmm....maybe this should be your Tour de Fleece challenge? See just how much you can spin?)

Full disclosure: I could be knitting or spinning a lot more if I would dink around on the computer less. ;o) It seems, though, that it's the only thing I can do without the children involving themselves in it. Sigh. I still should do less.

Off to make dinner and get the baby up from his nap . . .