Monday, April 13, 2009

Spinning intentionally: Part two

Yesterday, after my cabling triumph, I replied to a comment from Annalea and said that I wouldn't try to do long-draw without a tutor - this morning I was in a different mood. A bad mood, to be precise. I really did get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning - there was no reason at all for it, but I was snappy and tetchy and not very nice at all to my poor darling hubby, who wisely went to the shops and left me to it for a while. Turns out that all I needed to do was conquer a spinning challenge.... Long Draw. (Drum roll please...)
Ta dah! After a few false starts, and many broken ends, I have a ball of two-ply woolen yarn, spun long-draw. Woah, is it odd to try to long-draw when you've only spun worsted. I had a bit of a read about it in the Intentional Spinner, found a video on the internet, and took a deep breath, and let go of total control of every inch of the drafting. It started out badly....
...and it's quite strange to suddenly be worse at spinning than when you first started...
...but it got a bit better by the end of the ball... this is not bad really, given that it's my very first try!
The cabled yarn sock has got right up to the ankle, but I now have no yarn left. I've been expecting this since I cast on, and in fact am quite impressed it went this far. I'll do the ribbing in something else - maybe not even a cabled yarn. It won't need to be hardwearing, after all.
I now need to go and soak in the bath, having spent most of the day gardening. I'm aching from head to foot!

1 comment:

Annalea said...

Congrats on your first long-drawn yarn! :o) I'm glad it went so well.

Enjoy your bath!